Baked Corn Open Toast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 327 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 109429 times
Sweet corn combines very well with white sauce as it creates juicy, yellow speckles that complement the colour and creaminess of the sauce very well.
In this delectable Baked Corn Open Toast, crisp brown bread slices are topped with a flavourful white sauce containing sweet corn, green chillies, onions, et al, topped with cheese, and further baked till a luring aroma wafts out of the oven!
Do try other delectable open toasts like Mixed Vegetable Open Toast and Italian Open Toast Sandwich .
- Heat 3 tsp of butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the plain flour and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the sauce thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the salt and pepper powder, mix well and keep the white sauce aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of butter in another broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green chillies, sweet corn, sugar, salt, pepper powder and white sauce, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the stuffing into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Bake all the bread slices in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 8 to 10 minutes or till they turn crisp.
- Place all the toasted bread on a clean, dry surface and spread a portion of the corn stuffing and sprinkle ½ tbsp of cheese evenly on each bread toast.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for another 5 to 7 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Baked Corn Open Toast by Tarla Dalal
Baked Corn Open Toast recipe with step by step photos
Like Baked Corn Open Toast. Although the term toast pops up the simple toasted bread with butter or jam but there are numerous ways to make toasts filling and sumptuous. You can make a stuffing out of vegetables, cheese, paneer and spices and lay it on the bread slices to make quick and easy evening snacks. Here are some of my favorite toast recipes:
For the corn stuffing of baked corn toast, heat 3 tsp of butter in a broad non-stick pan.
When the butter melts, add the plain flour and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
When the flour turns frothy and pale, add the milk. The flour and butter mixture is called as roux, which is the thickening agent of white sauce.
Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the sauce thickens, while stirring continuously. If you don’t mix continuously it will form lumps.
Add the salt and pepper powder.
Mix well and keep the white sauce aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tsp of butter in another broad non-stick pan.
Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Also, you can put garlic to give a garlicky flavour.
Add the green chillies. Vegetables like capsicum, bell peppers, carrots and peas can also be added to make it more colorful and tasty.
Add the sweet corn and sugar. Sugar is totally optional because the corn kernels are naturally sweet. We have used fresh sweet corn kernels, which are boiled. You can use frozen corn kernels after boiling too.
Add salt and pepper powder.
Finally, add the prepared white sauce.
Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally and our corn stuffing are ready for corn toast.
Divide the corn stuffing into 6 equal portions and keep aside. You can use this stuffing as sandwich filling too and make scrumptious corn toast sandwich.
For preparing the baked corn toast, bake all the bread slices in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (360°F) for 8 to 10 minutes or till they turn golden and crisp. To make this quickly, you can even make use a pop up toaster to toast the bread slices. Refer our recipe with video of to make white bread at home.
Place all the toasted bread on a clean, dry surface. We used white bread slices, you can use wheat or multigrain bread slices too.
Spread a portion of the corn stuffing.
Sprinkle ½ tbsp of cheese evenly on each bread toast.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for another 5 to 7 minutes or till the cheese melts. If you don’t have an oven then place the slices on a tava, cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame till cheese melts.
Serve the baked corn toast immediately. To make it spicier, sprinkle little chilli flakes on each creamy corn toast.
Nutrient values per open toast
|Vitamin A||169.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||14.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.