Viewed 30750 times
Desiccated coconut is crisp, snow white in colour and has a sweet pleasant and fresh taste of the nut. It is made from fresh coconuts which are harvested at just the right time to ensure the best flavor. The coconut is then dried to the perfect moisture content to ensure long shelf life, best flavor and mouth feel. is produced from matured coconuts and the white coconut meat is granulated into the various desired cuts and is available as Macaroon, Medium, Flakes, Shreds, Chips, or as Coconut Flour. It's also available either as Sweetened, Toasted, or Toasted Sweetened. It can be used as a substitute to grated fresh coconut in household preparations. It is a very important coconut kernel based product having very good demand all over the world in the confectionery and allied food industries.
How to Select
The sweetened flake coconut commonly available at the market. Buy them clean, off white in colour from a known retailer. Check for the dirt content and avoid yellowish coloured. coconut.
· Desiccated coconut can be used as an ingredient in savoury and sweet recipes both to impart a coconut flavour and texture and as a topping or coating.
· Dried coconut is delicious eaten by itself as a snack, added to hot or cold cereal, and as an addition to baked goods.
· It can also be used in smoothies, sprinkled on salads, or stirred into sautéed vegetables. It is also a common ingredient in Thai and Indian dishes.
· Sambhar, Cakes, Chutney, Fritters, stuffing in Pakodas, Pattice, Used to coat sweet balls.
· Gravies containing desiccated coconut are popular in Southern India
· Desiccated or flaked coconut can be added to muesli, cookies, cereal breakfast.
How to Store
Due to less moisture content, the shelf life is longer compared to fresh coconut. It can be stored in plastic bags and refrigerated, will stay good for 6 months.
· Coconut meat that has been dried or desiccated is very concentrated and has a low moisture content, which is the reason it has the highest total fat and saturated fat content.
· Foods rich in total fat and saturated fat have been identified as potential risk factors in the development of a variety of diseases of lifestyle, such as heart disease, certain cancers, obesity and diabetes.
· Good points - No cholesterol, Very low in sodium, high in manganese.
· Bad points Very high in saturated fat.
Roasted desiccated coconut