Viewed 2266 times
Cranberry juice is a dark red fruit juice made from cranberries and sugar. This juice is liquid crushed from cranberries, which are acidic berries that grow on small shrubs or vines. Pure cranberry juice is very tart and so is often diluted with other types of juice, such as orange or apple. Cranberry juice might also be diluted with water and sweeteners in order to soften its acidity. In this case, it might be called cranberry juice cocktail, or a juice drink or nectar. While some dilution can make it easier to drink more cranberry juice for those who don't like tart flavours, too much dilution would defeat the purpose by negating health benefits and may add a lot of sugar to the diet.
How to select
Cranberry juice can be found in health food and grocery stores. Since cranberries are not easily available in India, fresh juices are rarely found, however, canned and packed juices are easily available under different brand names. Some also fortify the cranberry juice with nutrients such as calcium and Vitamin D. Reduced-acid varieties of cranberry juice are also marketed. Hence, choose accordingly from the variety. Some cranberry juices may be diluted with apple or orange juice to reduce the tart flavour of pure cranberry juice and some may be loaded with sugar, so choose wisely.
• Cranberry juice is often used to make variety of cocktails and mocktails.
• This juice is also used to make smoothies and shakes.
• Cranberry juice cocktail can also be used in making cakes, pancakes, etc.
How to store
After opening the can or pack, the juice often oxidizes quickly so it is best to use the open the packs within 2-3 days.
• Cranberries have long been recognized for their antibiotic effects. More famously, cranberries are the food of choice when one suffers from common yeast or urinary tract infections.
• Evidence suggests that cranberry juice is also effective in treating and preventing urinary tract infections. Its effectiveness arises due to the presence of proanthocyanidins, which prevent pathogens from adhering to the urinary tract.
• Cranberries and cranberry juice contain polyphenols, flavonoids and antioxidants that help lower total cholesterol levels and significantly reduce LDL cholesterol.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.