coriander-cumin seeds powder
Viewed 3809 times
Also Known as
The ground form of coriander-cumin is obtained from the Coriander and Cumin seeds. Most commonly, it is bought as whole dried seeds, but it can also be found as a powder. When grinding at home, it can be roasted or heated on a dry pan briefly to enhance the aroma before grinding it in an electric grinder or with a mortar and pestle; ground coriander seeds lose their flavour quickly in storage hence it is best to ground as needed. Coriander-Cumin Seeds powder has a pleasant aroma and flavor.
How to Select
It is advisable to buy whole coriander as well as cumin seeds rather than purchasing the readymade powder since the latter loses its flavor more quickly. Whereas, it can be made at home in time by grounding it with a mortar and pestle.
· Its best in savoury ones, salads, Buttermilk or a cup of plain yoghurt.
· It is an essential ingredient of many curries and gravies as it has a mild aroma instigating the appetite.
· It is added to give the dish a pleasing taste.
· Put coriander-cumin seeds powder in a pepper mill and keep on the dinner table so that you and your family can use them at any time.
· It is an important ingredient in flavouring pickles, curries and chutneys.
How to Store
Coriander-cumin seeds powder should be kept in an opaque, tightly sealed glass container in a cool, dark and dry place. It must be done with clean hands and place a piece of asafoetida to prevent any kind of spoilage. It will keep for about four to six months.
· Apart from being an aromatic spice, it has many healing and cooling properties beneficial for health and thus is found in Indian kitchens as well as in making medicines.
· Coriander-Cumin seeds powder taken in combination with pinch of asafoetida and rock salt is considered an aid to the digestive system. It also, relieves you from any kind of gastric pain or flatulence.
· Coriander has pain-relieving properties and is useful for headaches, muscle pain, stiffness and arthritis.
It is reputed to enhance circulation and relieve fluid retention