Last Updated : Mar 18,2021
Viewed 61196 times
Also Known as
What is hung curd, chakka dahi?Simply put, as the name suggests, hang curd in a muslin cloth and let the whey or the liquid drain completely (a process that takes about 4 hours). After pressing the bundle gently, what you have is chakka or hung curd. If you prefer the low fat variety, substitute full fat curd with low-fat.
How to select hung curd, chakka dahi
• Depending on your choice select either a full fat or low fat fresh curd to make your home made version of hung curd. This method by far is most healthy than the over-the-counter choices.
6 Uses of hung curd, chakka dahi1. Due to its creamy texture, hung curd is used to make desserts like Shrikhand and Bhappa Doi. Both of these desserts are super creamy in texture, not lumpy at all and can be made with different flavors like fruit flavors, elaichi and kesar, etc.
2. Hung Curd is made by hanging the curd in a muslin cloth to get rid of the excess liquid called whey. This liquid can be saved and used to make soft rotis and parathas.
3. Hung Curd is used to make really soft kebabs as well, which are famously known as Dahi Ke Kebab.
4. Dips made with hung curd is a healthy alternate to other dips and sauces like mayonnaise and cheese dip. There are many variations that can be made, one of them being Creamy Coriander and Mint Dip
5. Creamy dressing for salads can also be made with hung curd. That provides a certain freshness and tanginess to salads.
6. Sour cream is a very important component in Mexican dishes. This sour cream is also made when hung curd and lemon juice are combined together. It is used in recipes like the 7 layered Mexican dip.
How to Store hung curd, chakka dahi
• It stays fresh for a day or two when refrigerated.
Health Benefits of hung curd, chakka dahi
• Hung curd is a good source of calcium, vitamins and other minerals.
Nutritional Information for 1 Cup of Hung Curd
One Cup of Hung Curd is obtained from 2 cups of Curd (400 gm)
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
17.2 grams of Protein
20 grams of Carbs
26 grams of Fat
840 mg of Calcium (Ca) =84% of RDA (about 1000 mg)
520 mg of Phosphorus (P) = 86.6% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.4 mg of Vitamin B2, Riboflavin = 36.3% of RDA (about 1.1 mg)
76 mg of Magnesium (Mg) = 21.7% of RDA (about 350 mg)
64 mg of Cholesterol = 16.0% of RDA (about 400 mg)
640 mcg of Vitamin A = 13.3 % of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
0.16 mg of Vitamin B1, Thiamine = 13.3% of RDA (about 1.2 to 1.5 mg)
22.4 mcg of Folic Acid = 11.2% of RDA (about 200 mcg)
360 mg of Potassium (K) = 7.64% of RDA (about 4,700 mg)
76 mg of Sodium (Na) = 3.8% of RDA (about 1902 mg)
0.8 mg of Iron (Fe) = 3.8% of RDA (about 21 mg)
0.4 mg of Vitamin B3, Niacin = 3.3% of RDA (about 12 mg)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.