White dragon fruit
Last Updated : Jul 04,2018
Viewed 1939 times
Also Known As
Pitaya, Pitahaya ,dragon fruit, dragon pearl fruit
Description of White Dragon fruit
White dragon fruit is a tropical fruit and cultivated in Central America, Southeast Asia, Mexico, Australia. The skin is soft with scales and pink in color, whereas the flesh is white with small, black edible seeds. It has a light sweet taste and a texture of between that of a kiwi and a pear fruit. The fruit comes in three varieties. Apart from the pink skin white flesh which is easily available and a popular variety there is one with pink skin and red flesh. The other variety has a yellow skin with white flesh. Different looking, different varieties have different flavors.
White dragon fruit cubes
Cut the dragon vertically into two halves. Run a spoon between the flesh and skin and lift it to scoop the flesh out whole and place on a clean dry surface. Cut lengthwise along the centre to get two halves. Join the halves with your non-working hand, and cut breadth wise at ½ inch/ 1 inch regular intervals to make cubes. Repeat with the other half.
How to Select White Dragon fruit
• While buying white dragon fruit, select mature and not too soft ones that has bright, even-colored skin.
• Hold the dragon fruit in your palm and press the skin with your thumb, it should not be mushy nor too firm.
• Check that there are no bruises or physical damage such as cuts or ruptures, which might occur while transportation. A few blisters on the skin is normal, but if the fruit has a lot of blemishes, it may be over-ripe.
Culinary Uses of White Dragon fruit
• White dragon fruit is very juicy and has a unique, mildly sweet taste.
• It can be eaten alone or combined with other fruits to make a fruit bowl.
• It is largely used in the preparation of smoothies.
• The juice of the dragon fruit can be combined with other fruit juices to make a mocktail.
• It can also be used as a garnish.
How to Store White Dragon fruit
• Store it in a cool and dry place for 2-3 days. You can also place it in a paper bag or sealed plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for upto 2 weeks.
• Once cut, refrigerate it in an air tight container and consume it earlier to avoid any quality or nutritive loss.
10 Health Benefits of White Dragon fruit
1. This exotic fruit reduces the signs of ageing due to its high antioxidant power.
2. Vitamin C of dragon fruit helps build the body’s defense against common diseases like cold and cough.
3. Add a cup of chopped dragon fruit to your breakfast daily and get your part dose of water and antioxidants to keep your skin smooth and supple.
4. The high fiber content of this fruit is a good reliever to constipation. If you suffer from it often, try adding dragon fruit to your diet.
5. Low on calorie count, it’s a great choice for weight watchers.
6. If you are looking for iron rich fruits, do not miss on this fruit. Its sure to raise your hemoglobin levels by assisting in RBC (red blood cell) formation.
7. The flavonoids in dragon fruit are known to reduce the risk of heart disease.
8. Being a rich source of vitamin A it protects the lining of the eyes.
9. All the antioxidants together work reduce inflammation and as stress busters.
10. Regular consumption of this fruit can help control diabetes too.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.