Cream Of Broccoli Soup ( Jain International Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 53 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 77782 times
Cream of Broccoli Soup is something worthy of becoming your comfort food because, well, it feels so comfortable! Its nice breezy flavour and luxuriant mouth-feel make you feel truly pampered.
The best part about this recipe is that it does not use potatoes, onions, or any other veggies that Jains and some others would not prefer including. So, everybody can try it out – and everybody will love it too.
This creamy soup gets its awesome creaminess from milk and cream, while a proper mix of pepper and nutmeg give it a unique flavour. We have used both the stalk and the florets of the broccoli in this soup – and suggest you use only fresh broccoli to get the best colour and taste.
This definitely is a wonderful way to harness the health benefits of broccoli. You can serve the Cream of Broccoli Soup with croutons to make it more exciting, if you wish.
Follow this recipe and learn to make Jain friendly Cream Of Broccoli Soup recipe at home with the help of our step by step photos.
Try other Jain-friendly soups like Sweet Corn and Asparagus Soup and Creamy Almond Soup.
- Since broccoli comes in a tree like shape, you have to remove the larger stalk and keep only the florets and the small stalks that are attached to it.
- To make cream of broccoli soup, heat 1 tbsp of butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the broccoli stalks and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- We prefer to sauté the broccoli stalks before the broccoli florets because they take more time to cook in comparison to the florets and since we have to blend them into a smooth puree at a later stage, it is important for them to be well cooked for the cream of broccoli soup to be smooth and not gra
- Add the broccoli florets, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. It is very important that the broccoli does not brown as it will not give a vibrant green color to our broccoli soup.
- Cool slightly and transfer the broccoli stalks and florets in a mixer.
- Add ½ cup of water to the same mixer.
- Blend till you get a smooth puree. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining butter in the same deep non-stick pan, add the plain flour and mix using a whisk on a medium flame for 30 seconds, making sure that there is no discolouration.
- Add the milk, mix well using a whisk and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- The combination of butter, plain four and milk when cooked in the ratio of 1 tbsp : 1 tbsp : 1 cup, results in a silky smooth thick sauce, but since this is a soup, we did not want to make the milk base very thick and hence took a little more milk to make the base thinner but still provide the same creaminess
- Add the broccoli purée, nutmeg powder, salt, freshly ground black pepper and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame. Add the fresh cream and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.