How many calories does One serving of Spicy Tava Idli have?
One serving of Spicy Tava Idli gives 198 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 134 calories, proteins account for 17 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 47 calories. One serving of Spicy Tava Idli provides about 10 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See spicy tava idli | restaurant style tava idli | tawa idli recipe | spicy tava idli made with left over idlis| with 20 amazing images.
spicy tava idli is a popular restaurant style tava idli. Simple to make spicy tava idli with leftover idliscooked on a tawa with Indian spices, vegetables and some butter. We have used onions and tomatoes but you can put capsicums or any vegetable you like.
We love to have spicy tava idli made with left over idlis with some coconut chutney to offset the spices from the idli.
Notes on and tips on tava idli recipe. 1. Butter gives a really nice flavor to the spicy tava idlis so make sure you use butter. 2. Add 2 tbsp of water so that it’s not very dry and salt to season. Water will prevent the masalas from sticking to the pan. 3. Spicy tava idli is similar to masala pav, just that we replace bread cubes with idli cubes. 4. The best results are achievable using cold idlis so, if you have idlis left from breakfast or dinner then you can transform them into tongue-tickling spicy tava idli.
The master stroke in this spicy tava idli is the use of pav bhaji masala which gives it a chaat like taste.
Is Tava Idli healthy?
One Tava Idli has only 49.5 calories. Great for weight loss, and an ideal fermetned food. Forms a perfect low calorie breakfast recipe and a snack enjoyed all over the country. So you are better off snacking on an idli than eating any form of processed foods.
Tava Idli is made from urad dal, par boiled rice, methi seeds and thick beaten rice.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
Urad Dal : 1 cup of cooked urad dal gives 69.30% of folic acid of your daily requirement of folate. The folic acid in urad dal helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Being rich in Phosphorus it works with Calcium to build our bones. See here for 10 super benefits of urad dal.
What's the problem?
Parboiled Rice : Parboiled rice is also known as ukda chawal. The parboiled rice is made with the rice grain soaked, steamed and dried with the hull and finally the hull is removed. In the process of steaming water soluble B Vitamins like thiamine, riboflavinand niacin from the bran integrate into the grain, thus making parboiled rice superior to white rice.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can healthy individuals have Tava idli?
Yes, but don't eat too many as they are high in carbs. Read on to understand. Tava Idli is a perfect combination of urad dal and par boiled rice which make it a complete protein. A cereal pulse combo like in the case of Idli ( par boiled rice and urad dal) would serve as a complete protein comprising of all the 9 essential amino acids.
It additionally is without gluten, so if you need to go gluten free, Idli would be the best option for you. It is also a low calorie recipe, thus making it a good option for people on weight loss. Parboiled rice has more fiber than white rice making you feel fuller and this is a better choice than junk food or fried food.When you eat idli for breakfast or lunch, make sure your remaining meals in the day contain fibre and low in carbs. Note that idli is high in carbs so don't eat too many of them.
Is tava idli safe for Diabetics?
Tava Idli is a moderate Glycemic Index (GI) recipe and since it is fermented it is pre digested by micro organisms, thus prove not a very happy food for diabetics. But we have a idli recipe which does not use par boiled rice and safe for diabetics. Try the green moog dal and vegetable idli.
Green Moong Dal and Vegetable Idli, Healthy Moong Dal Idlis
What is a healthy accompaniment to tava Idli?
To idli, we recommend a nice piping hot bowl of sambar.
Tava idli is good for
1. Healthy Lifestyle (have some veggies with your meal)
2. Weight Gain
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
One serving of Spicy Tava Idli is high in
1. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 198 calories that come from One serving of Spicy Tava Idli?
Walking (6 kmph) = 59 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 20 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 26 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 34 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.