How many calories does one cup of Soaked Soya Chunks have?
One cup of soaked soya chunks gives 156 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 31 calories, proteins account for 62 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 63calories. One cup of soaked soya chunks provides about 8 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to see Soaked Soya Chunks calories. These are usually less popular no thanks to their chunky size! However Soya Mutter ki Subzi is a good option to try using whole soaked soya chunks.
Soya Mutter ki Subzi
I have also experimented and made delicious recipes using them, by soaking and chopping them into bite-sized pieces. They are a rather good addition to some recipes as they soak up flavours well.
Try recipes like Soya Mutter Pulao, Soya Vegetable Medley etc.
Soya Mutter Pulao
Is Soaked Soya Chunks healthy?
Soaked Soya Chunks are not good for weight loss, diabetics and weight watchers.
Are Soya Chunks good for weight loss, diabetes and heart?
Soya chunks are known as a vegetarian substitute to meat. They abound in protein and good addition for those aiming at high protein diet, low fat diet. However, they also add in good amounts of calories. So one needs to be cautious of the amount of soya chunks added to a low cal diet.
Some research has shown that soya may helpin reducing the cholesterol levels and manage blood sugar levels due to the presence of isoflavones, the amount of Fiber and other nutrients like zinc, magnesium and potassium present in them. But the soya chunks are processed and may not show similar effect.
Also another research shows that soya foods have lot of phytates in them which makes the absorption of minerals difficult. Further, soya is high on protein scale. For diabetics too much protein is a risk factor to kidney. More research is yet needed if they benefit heart or help control diabetes.
However, soya chunks included in the diet sparingly will not affect the cholesterol and sugar levels drastically. Prefer to include tofu and tempeh over soya chunks.
Are Soya Chunks good for Growing girls and Pregnant women?
Recent research has shown that eating soy and its products may lead to imbalance in the estrogen levels and thus lead to puberty problems, irregular menstrual cycle and even fertility problems.
Hence though soya is a good source of protein, till more research clearly chalks out its benefits, it would be best for growing girls and pregnant women to avoid it or have them in very small quantities occasionally.
Soaked Soya Chunks is high in these.
1. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
How to burn 156 calories that come from one cup of Soaked Soya Chunks?
Walking (6 kmph) = 47 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 16 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 21 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 27 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.