How many calories does one wedge of Eggless Sponge Cake have?
One wedge of Eggless Sponge Cake gives 276 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 169 calories, proteins account for 24 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 86 calories. One wedge of Eggless Sponge Cake provides about 14 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Eggless Sponge Cake recipe. This sponge cake is just what it should be – perfectly spongy! With the right level of sweetness, a pleasing flavour and melt-in-the-mouth softness, this versatile sponge cake is the ultimate go-to dessert for vegetarians.
The proper mix of baking soda and baking powder gives this cake a nice sponginess and rise despite not using eggs.
Fondly called the Vegetarian Sponge Cake, this eggless sponge cake can be enjoyed plain or with decorative icings like Mocha Glaze Icing or Orange Butter Icing. The same recipe also lends itself to making other cakes like Pineapple Cake.
Note that for this recipe we do not have to add any extra sugar because we are using condensed milk, which gives a rich flavour and texture.
You can store this yummy cake in an airtight container at room temperature for a day, or in the fridge for 4-5 days. However, it is best enjoyed fresh and warm when the aroma is at the peak.
Is Eggless Sponge Cake Healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
What's the problem?
1. Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
2. Condensed Milk, Sweetened Condensed Milk: Condensed Milk – itself is very high in energy (513 calories from ½ cup). That’s a lot! This is of most concern especially when most of it is because of the added sugar, which does not offer any benefit in reality. So weight watchers and those suffering from diabetes and heart disease as well as those aiming a healthy lifestyle need to definitely stay steer of this ingredient, though rich in taste. Condensed milk is a dairy product, so it is a concentrated source of protein and calcium, which are necessary to build strong bones. It does provide some B vitamins and potassium also. So condensed milk should be the preferred choice over plain sugar. Read is condensed milk healthy?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Eggless Sponge Cake ?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This cake uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. Weight watchers and those suffering from diabetes and heart disease as well as those aiming a healthy lifestyle need to definitely stay steer of Condensed milk ingredient, though rich in taste.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Carrot cake which uses whole wheat flour and jaggery . Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery or oats dates and kheer.
Carrot Cake , Healthy Snack for Kids
Try a jowar based Indian dessert which is s a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. The jowar apple sheera recipe is made with the addition of cows milk and apples and sweetened with honey.
Jowar Apple Sheera, Healthy Indian Sweet
Can healthy individuals have Eggless Sponge Cake ?
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
Eggless Sponge Cake is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 276 calories that come from one wedge of Eggless Sponge cake?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 23 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 28 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 37 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 47 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.