White Gravy Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 82 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32775 times
Caraway flavoured brown rice, layered with an assortment of colourful vegetables cooked in a subtly spiced gravy, the White Gravy Biryani is a mouth-watering and sumptuous dish – almost a one-pot meal! It has lots of garlic and ginger, which help to counterbalance the effects of sodium and make this dish suitable for those with hypertension. The use of brown rice instead of polished varieties adds to the fibre content of this dish, making it all the more heart-friendly.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the caraway seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the brown rice and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine the onions, cauliflower and ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, combine the onion-cauliflower mixture, garlic and ginger and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cardamoms, cloves and bay leaf and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared onion–cauliflower paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the green chillies, mixed vegetables, 3 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame, add the curds and salt, mix well and keep aside.
- In a broad non-stick pan, spread a layer of rice and top with a layer of the white gravy.
- Repeat the layers till all the rice and white gravy are used.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.