by Tarla Dalal
Added to 782 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 79606 times
A colourful and tasty idli recipe that you will enjoy to the core! The batter for making Vegetable Idlis is different from the traditional idli batter, and is ground using coconut milk, which gives it a soothing flavour and soft texture too. Since the vegetables are added to the batter before fermenting, they become semi-soft and get cooked within the same time as the idlis without requiring any separate attention. Serve these delicious idlis with your favourite chutney and sambhar.
- Wash and soak the urad dal and parboiled rice together for at least 2 hours.
- Drain and grind to a smooth paste in a mixer using the coconut milk.
- Transfer it to a deep bowl and add the onion, carrot, cabbage, cumin seeds, coconut and salt and mix well. Cover and allow to ferment in a warm place for 3 to 4 hours.
- Pour spoonfuls of batter into greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till they are done.
- Serve hot with sambhar or coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.