Til Papdi Chikki, Makar Sankranti Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 8293 times
Papdi chikki is a type of chikki that’s really thin. This not only makes it attractive to look at, but also gives it a superbly crisp and exciting mouth-feel.
A specialty that’s made during Sankaranthi, the Til Papdi Chikki is a delightful treat that’s made with sesame seeds along with a dash of almonds and a sprinkling of cardamom powder.
We have made this chikki with the sesame seeds used for making chikki – it is commonly available in all shops. At step 4, make sure you cool the mixture only for a few seconds and proceed immediately; else you will not be able to roll it if it cools too much.
You can also try other chikkis like the Peanut Chikki and Mixed Til Chikki .
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the sesame seeds and dry roast on a slow flame for 2 minutes. Transfer the sesame seeds on a plate and cool completely.
- Put the sugar in the same broad non-stick pan, once it start melting, tilt the pan till the sugar melts completely. It takes approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds, almond slivers and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Immediately put the mixture on a greased rolling board and wait for a few seconds.
- Then roll it into a 250 mm. (10”) diameter circle using a greased rolling pin till it is really thin. If you find it difficult to roll then keep greasing the rolling pin.
- Cool it till it is firm.
- Lift is carefully using a flat steel spatula and cool again completely.
- Then roughly break them into pieces.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
- The sesame seeds we have used are the one you get for making chikki.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.