Tendli Bhaat, Microwave Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13805 times
Tendli or ivy gourd is found almost all over the country. In fact, it is available even abroad, under the name of gherkins. But, every community has a favourite way of cooking it.
Telugu people make stuffed tendli curry, while tamilians cook it with a simple tempering. The konkan people like to match it with fresh, raw cashews, while the Maharashtrains like it with rice.
Rice and tendli are cooked with assorted spices and grated coconut, resulting in a sumptuous meal. You can even try making this with brinjals instead of tendli. Serve hot garnished with cashewnuts, and simply tuck in to this Maharashtrian special.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Put the ghee in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add the mustard seeds and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida, mix well and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add the tendli, rice and 1¾ cups of water, mix gently and microwave on high for 15 minutes, while stirring twice in between after every 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, half the spice powder and salt, mix gently and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut and the remaining spice powder, mix gently and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with fried cashewnuts.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.