Spicy Khichdi with Curry Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 180 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27384 times
Sumptuous khichdi gets an exciting double-twist in this recipe. With the addition of spices, garlic and coconut, the khichdi itself gets a little richer, but when served with a tongue-tickling curry sauce, it becomes nonpareil! The tomato-based sauce is prepared with a masala paste that features almost all the spices in your larder, along with poppy seeds and nuts, which gives it a rich texture as well. Although you can experience the combined flavours of all the ingredients in the Spicy Khichdi with Curry Sauce, the magical aroma of aniseeds stands out in a sharp yet irresistible way.
- For the khichdi
- 1. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the prepared paste and 1 tbsp of water, mix well cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add the rice, masoor dal, salt and 4 cups of hot water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the rice is cooked, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and ½ cup of water in a deep pan and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely. Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth pulp, strain using a strainer. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, and the paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato pulp , sugar, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes ,while stirring occasionally.
- Serve the rice hot with hot curry on the side.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||230.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||12.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||21 mcg|
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.