by Tarla Dalal
Added to 49 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26971 times
This dal is named after the mughal emperor shahjahan. A truly magnificent creation, this dal is made with kabuli peas that have been boiled and pureed. Enjoy this dal with any pulao or parathas in true mughal style!
Add your private note
Shahjahani Dal recipe - How to make Shahjahani Dal
Soaking time: overnight Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
8 hours 45 minutesMakes 4 servings
- Combine the kabuli chana, 2 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend the kabuli chana along with the water in which they are cooked in a mixer to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep kadhai, add the caraway seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander-cumin seeds powder, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the kabuli-chana mixture, salt and green chilli paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh cream, garam masala and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.