Saffron Chenna Pie
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 160 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28736 times
When we are kids, moms worry about avoiding cavities in our teeth, and when we get older we start worrying about tooth decay. In short, taking care of our teeth is a headache during most stages of our life! Well, taking care of your teeth can be fun too. Here, for instance, we show you how to supplement the calcium needed by your teeth with a delicious Saffron Chenna Pie. This saffron-tinged milky treat is made with low-fat milk as excess fat hinders calcium absorption. We have also used low-fat curds to curdle the milk instead of lemon juice, as curd yields softer chenna.
- Combine the saffron and milk in a small bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan, while stirring occasionally.
- When it starts boiling, switch off the flame and wait for 1 minute.
- Add the curds, while stirring gently and wait for 2 minutes.
- Once the milk has curdled, strain using a muslin cloth. This is the chenna.
- Combine the chenna, saffron-milk mixture, powdered sugar and baking powder in a mixer and blend to a smooth paste.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Arrange 2 apple slices in a 50 mm. (2”) diameter baking bowl, and sprinkle ¼ tsp sugar over it.
- Pour a portion of the chenna mixture over it and spread it evenly.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 3 more bowls.
- Place the bowls on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly and de-mould on a serving dish.
- Serve immediately garnished with almonds and cardamom powder.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.