Added to 264 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 111632 times
Puja, festival or wedding, no occasion is ever complete without Phirni. Interestingly, this north Indian dessert of rice cooked in sweetened milk is popular all over the country, known by different names and prepared with slight modifications. In the south, for instance, the same recipe is prepared with their varieties of raw, short-grained rice, and served hot at the start of a meal! Yet, there too, it is an indispensable part of festive menus. Here, we show you hot to make authentic north Indian Phirni, slow-cooked to get the perfect consistency and incredibly rich aroma. Exercise your creativity when it comes to garnishing this. While some stick to slivered nuts, others like to garnish this traditional delicacy with dried or fresh fruits and even rose petals.
- Blend the rice in a mixer to a coarse paste without using any water. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame.
- Add the rice paste, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 15 minutes, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Increase the flame to medium and cook it for another 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Switch off the flame, add the cardamom powder and mix well. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled garnished with almond slivers.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||320 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
|Folic Acid||11.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.