Panchratni Dal, Pressure Cooker Panchratni Dal Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 22 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13973 times
The Panchratni Dal is a real ratan or gem from Indian cooking! It has many interesting qualities, which make it appeal to almost everybody. This traditional recipe combines five pulses, ranging from moong to toovar, which gives it a unique texture. Combined with tomatoes, onions, an assortment of spice powders and seeds, the five dals transform into a really mouth-watering treat.
Here, we have opted to Pressure cook the dals along with the other flavour-enhancing ingredients. This not only reduces the cooking time, but also ensures that the flavours fuse with the dals, giving excellent results. A dash of curds added at the end of the cooking procedure improves the texture of the dal and also imparts a nice tang to the Panchratni Dal, making it even tastier.
Panchratni Dal teams up well with Rice and Rotis as well.
- Clean, wash and soak the dals in enough water for at least 8 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the cardamom, cinnamon and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds powder, green chillies, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the dals, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the curds and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||168.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||8.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||34.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.