Paal Payasam, South Indian Rice Kheer
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Paal Payasam, South Indian Rice Kheer in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Paal Payasam, South Indian Rice Kheer in Gujarati)
Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 58353 times
Paal Payasam is a must-serve item during south Indian festivals, weddings and other auspicious occasions. Made of rice cooked in full-fat milk and sweetened with sugar, this kheer has a very rich flavour and creamy texture, which are boosted further by spices like cardamom and saffron. This South Indian Rice Kheer is something that kids and adults look forward to enjoying on special occasions. It is also one of the offerings made at Kerala temples, and you can find a long queue of people waiting at the prasad counter after mid-morning puja time to buy a portion of this kheer. In temples, the kheer is cooked in large, heavy-bottomed bronze vessels, which gives it an even more intense flavour and richer texture.
- Combine the warm milk and saffron in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Continue cooking on a medium flame for another 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally and mashing the rice lightly with the back of a spoon and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Add the sugar, saffron-milk mixture and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Paal Payasam Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.