Paal Payasam, South Indian Rice Kheer
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Paal Payasam, South Indian Rice Kheer in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Paal Payasam, South Indian Rice Kheer in Gujarati)
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 79600 times
paal payasam recipe | South Indian rice kheer | Kerala style paal payasam | with 13 amazing images.
paal payasam is a South Indian rice kheer which is a Kerala style paal payasam.
paal payasam is a must-serve item during South Indian festivals, weddings and other auspicious occasions. Made of rice cooked in full-fat milk and sweetened with sugar, this South Indian rice kheer has a very rich flavour and creamy texture, which are boosted further by spices like cardamom and saffron.
This South Indian rice kheer is something that kids and adults look forward to enjoying on special occasions. It is also one of the offerings made at Kerala temples, and you can find a long queue of people waiting at the prasad counter after mid-morning puja time to buy a portion of this Kerala style paal payasam.
In temples, the Indian rice kheer is cooked in large, heavy-bottomed bronze vessels, which gives it an even more intense flavour and richer texture.
Tips to make the perfect South Indian rice kheer. 1. Rinse a deep non-stick pan with ¼ cup of water and quickly simmer it for 2-3 minutes. This will prevent milk from burning from the bottom as the water forms a protective layer between the pan and milk. Also, it is advisable to use a heavy bottom pan to make Indian desserts like basundi, kheer, rabdi. 2. Stir it occasionally to avoid milk from sticking to the bottom of the pan or browning. It is very important to use full-fat milk as it will provide the rice-kheer a rich and creamy texture. 3. Cook South Indian Rice Kheer on a slow flame for 7 minutes while stirring and scraping the sides of the pan occasionally.
Enjoy how to make paal payasam recipe | South Indian rice kheer | Kerala style paal payasam | with step by step recipes and photos below.
- To make paal payasam, combine the warm milk and saffron in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Continue cooking on a medium flame for another 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally and mashing the rice lightly with the back of a spoon and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Add the sugar, saffron-milk mixture and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve the paal payasam warm or chilled.
Paal Payasam Video by Tarla Dalal
Paal Payasam, South Indian Rice Kheer recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.