Semiya Payasam, Vermicelli Kheer
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Semiya Payasam, Vermicelli Kheer in Hindi)
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 41826 times
Roasted vermicelli, cooked in a pot of sweetened milk, laced with cardamom and garnished with dry fruits is a delightful addition to any menu, especially a traditional South Indian meal.
It is funny to hear some elders still referring to the Semiya Payasam as “Maapillai Payasam” (meaning son-in-law kheer)! With its milky flavour and rich garnishes, the Vermicelli Kheer was considered a perfect dish to serve to a visiting son-in-law, who used to traditionally be treated like a King!
Although relationships have now become more casual and friendly, the Vermicelli Kheer remains a royal treat for the palate, and ideal to commemorate any special Occasion.
Also do try other kheer recipes like Seb ki Kheer , Rice Kheer , Apple and Walnut Kheer , Bulgur Wheat Kheer and Makhane ki Kheer .
Enjoy how to make Semiya Payasam recipe with detailed step by step photos below.
- Heat ½ tbsp of ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the vermicelli and sauté on a slow flame for 2 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Combine the milk and ½ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the roasted vermicelli, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat 1½ tbsp of ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the raisins and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour this over the payasam along with the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve warm.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.