Oondhiya, Microwave Oondhiya
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 196 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43020 times
Oondhiya is an ever-popular Gujarati delicacy of veggies and methi muthias cooked with a powerful, freshly-prepared masala. While it takes a little time to prepare the vegetables, the rest of the process is made easier in this recipe using the microwave oven.
Traditional veggies like surti papdi and kand are used in the Oondhiya, giving it an earthy and homely taste. The muthias too have the intense taste of fenugreek and a nice, melt-in-the-mouth texture.
Instead of deep-frying, steaming or baking the muthias, we have made them easily in the microwave oven. By combining the muthias and veggies with a flavour-packed coconut paste, we get a traditional treat that is best enjoyed with Puris and Kadhi .
- Combine the fenugreek leaves and little salt in a deep bowl and mix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the excess water.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using approx. 1 tbsp of water.
- Divide the dough into 18 equal portions and shape each portion into an oval shape by rolling it between your palms and fingers.
- Spread this mixture on a greased shallow glass dish and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- String the surti papdi, taking care not to separate the 2 sides.
- Wash the papdi, add the carom seeds, soda bi-carb and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Put the oil and asafoetida in a big microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the surti papdi, purple yam, yam, potatoes and 1/4 cup water, mix well and cover with a lid and microwave on high for 10 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Add the prepared masala, methi muthias and mix well. Cover with a lid and microwave on high for 4 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.