Mango Sasav, Mango in Coconut Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 209 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23408 times
Mango in Coconut Curry is a sweet, sour and spicy dish that is popular in the Konkan region. Peeled, whole mangoes are cooked with jaggery and perked up with a mildly-spiced coconut paste. The tempering of mustard seeds and red chillies is very important to get the characteristic taste of this dish.
In regions like Mangalore, this dish is called Mango Sasav, where sasav means mustard. That tells how important the little seed is, to get the authentic flavour and aroma of this dish.
Serve with rotis and rice .
Also do try other
- Combine the mangoes, turmeric powder, jaggery, salt and 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cover with a lid, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared coconut paste, little salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, kashmiri dry red chilli, curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the prepared mango gravy and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||582.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||4.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.