5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3634 times
Black lentil with the skin on has a really rustic flavour and richer aroma compared to the skinless, polished varieties. Understandably, a dal prepared with chilkewali urad dal also has a really rich flavour, aroma and texture. Khalo Dal is one such preparation, in Bengali style. Here, the urad is flavoured quite simply with ginger, garlic and onions – three most common ingredients generally available in all kitchens! It is made with minimum oil, to suit diabetics and weight watchers, and despite its simplicity it has an irresistible flavour that makes you crave for more when served with hot, fluffy Phulkas or satiating rotis.
- Combine the urad dal, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whisltes.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic and saute on a meium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and saute on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste and the cooked dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.