Kala Chana Subzi, Maharashtrian Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11391 times
Here’s a quick and easy everyday subzi with a classic Malvani touch. The rustic mealy texture of cooked kala chana is enhanced beautifully by the spiciness of the Malvani gravy and the tang of tamarind pulp.
Common veggies like tomatoes and onions along with ginger and garlic add taste and volume to the dish. The Malvani gravy, though made with everyday ingredients and spices, has a traditional flavour and aroma that’ll make you drool.
It uses a lot of red chillies and has an appetizing reddish brown colour. You can keep some in stock in the freezer, to use instantly when required.
This yummy Kala Chana Subzi tastes very good with hot steamed rice, possibly laced with a little ghee if you are feeling indulgent.
You can also have a go at other Maharashtrian recipes like Maharashtrian Patal Bhaji or Maharashtrian Papdi and Moong Dal Vadi Subzi .
- Combine the kala chana and 1¼ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the malvani gravy and tamarind pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kalal chana with the water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with rice.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.