Kabuli Chana Kofta Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1141 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 89743 times
A reminder of the opulence of the Nawabs, the Kabuli Chana Kofta Biryani is a royal treat that pampers you with every mouthful! Perfectly cooked long-grained rice is layered with a richly flavoured tomato gravy studded with scrumptious kabuli chana koftas. The gravy, made with tomato puree, masala pastes and spice powders has an intense aroma and deep flavour, which are ideal for the mealy koftas made of soaked and ground kabuli chana. A lacing of saffron, milk and mint before baking the Kabuli Chana Kofta Biryani is the final masterstroke, which enhances this already luxuriant fare. Serve with Mint Raita and papad.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixer and blend it to a coarse mixture using 2 tbsp of water.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and drop small spoonfuls of the mixture in it, a few at a time, and deep-fry till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients along with 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the rice is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Strain the rice using a strainer.
- Divide the rice into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and ½ cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend it in a mixer to a smooth purée and strain it using a strainer. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a other broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared tomato purée, ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, salt and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the fresh cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Add the koftas to the tomato gravy and mix gently. Keep aside.
- Combine the milk and saffron in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Spread a portion of the rice in a greased baking dish to form an even layer.
- Spread the tomato gravy with the koftas evenly over it.
- Finally spread the other portion of the rice evenly over it.
- Pour the prepared milk-saffron mixture and sprinkle the mint leaves evenly over it.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Kabuli Chana Kofta Biryani Video
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.