Hyderabadi Veg Haleem
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6482 times
Hyderabadi Haleem is a one-dish meal , which has gained international acclaim.
In Hyderabad, the dish is an indispensable part of celebrity events like weddings, and is consumed especially during Iftaar, the evening meal following the day-long fast observed by Muslims during the month of Ramadan .
This is so because Haleem is a high-calorie dish that gives instant energy. Here is a vegetarian version of the energy and flavour packed Hyderabadi delicacy.
Packed with broken wheat, a range of lentils, vegetables and spices, the Hyderabadi Veg Haleem is self-contained in flavour and texture and ideal to serve as a one-dish meal.
A garnish of deep-fried onions and mixed nuts adds to the crunchiness and flavour of this dish, also giving it a masaledar aroma instantly.
Try your hand at making other Hyderabadi delicacies like the Char Dal ka Dalcha and the Bakar Khani Naan .
- Combine the yellow moong dal, urad dal, masoor dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, caraway seeds and sesame seeds in a mixer and blend to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the onions, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables, coriander, mint and salt and sauté on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the broken wheat and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared dal powder, curds, milk , mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add 1 cup of water and mash with help of potato masher till coarse.
- Serve hot garnished with melted ghee, deep-fried onions and nuts.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||598.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||13.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||25.9 mcg|
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.