Ginger Pachdi, Ginger Chutney, South Indian Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4446 times
Ginger Pachdi is an appetizing South Indian accompaniment that combines the pungency of ginger with the tanginess of tamarind and the rustic sweetness of jaggery.
Being sweet, sour and spicy, this chutney-like accompaniment is sure to make you eat an idli or dosa more than you usually do!
Once the chutney is cooked, pour the tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies over it. Do not add it earlier while cooking, because adding it in the end retains the crispness of the mustard seeds and curry leaves, improving the mouth-feel and aroma of the Ginger Pachdi.
You can make a batch of this chutney and keep it for 4-5 days. You might also like to try other South Indian accompaniments like Mysore Chutney and Malgapodi .
- Heat 3 tsp of sesame oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the ginger and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and fenugreek seeds and mix well.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer along with approx. ¼ cup of water till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into the same broad non-stick pan, add 2 tbsp of water, tamarind pulp and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the jaggery and asafoetida, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of sesame oil in a small broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and kashmiri red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pour the tempering over the ginger-tamarind mixture and mix well.
- Store refrigerated in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.