Doodhi ka Halwa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 342 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 205402 times
lauki ka halwa recipe | dudhi ka halwa recipe | doodhi ka halwa made with mawa | with step by step photos.
A traditional Punjabi mithai, lauki ka halwa that everybody has a reason to like—some for the taste, some for the goodness of doodhi and milk, and some for the warm feeling it instills on a rainy day!
Our lauki ka halwa recipe is a quick dudhi ka halwa made with just 5 ingredients, lauki, milk, sugar, mawa (khoya) and ghee.
lauki ka halwa and gajjar ka halwa are the most popular halwa’s to make. This quick lauki ka halwa uses very little ghee to make. You must use freshly grated dudhi in the halwa and we have not removed the water. When the dudhi has become soft while cooking then add the sugar.
I know some busy-bees who would stop over at a sweetmeat stall, have a cup of lauki ka halwa and a samosa in lieu of a meal, and continue their work with full energy!
Besides sweet you can consume doodhi in a variety of other dishes like Doodhiya Kheech, Doodhi Theplas, Doodhi Muthia , Doodhi and Chana Dal Subzi, Budijaw and Doodhi Kheer.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the bottle gourd and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and milk and cover and cook on a slow flame for approx. 4 to 5 minutes,till the bottle gourd is soft.
- Add the khoya, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, garnish with chirongi nuts and allow to cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled.
Doodhi Halwa Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.