by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6637 times
A very interesting way of preparing dal, learnt from the Bengalis, the Dal Chenchki has a really mouth-watering flavour and appetizing aroma.
Typically, most Bengali dishes are tempered with a mix of seeds including mustard, fenugreek and nigella. The Dal Chenchki too derives much of its flavour from this mix of seeds, as well as a range of spice powders.
Shallots also give the dal a nice crunch and pungent taste. This everyday dal recipe is pressure-cooked, and is therefore not very time consuming.
It can also be enjoyed by diabetics, people with heart problems and weight-watchers as it is quite healthy, with a good dose of protein and iron too.
You can also try other recipes like Mulor Ghanto and Dal Kalai .
Add your private note
Dal Chenchki recipe - How to make Dal Chenchki
Soaking Time: 30 minutes Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1 hoursMakes 4 servings
- Wash and soak the masoor dal in enough water in a deep bowl for ½ hour. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add green chillies, cumin seeds, nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and bayleaf and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the shallots and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the soaked and drained masoor dal and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till the dal turns light brown in colour.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and coriander powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 2½ cups of water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.