Coconut Chikki, Kopra Chikki Made in Jaggery
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 13 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32354 times
The Coconut Chikki is quite unique in its flavour and texture. It is thinner than most other chikkis, has an exhilarating crispness, and the rich flavour of coconut and jaggery. Here is a detailed step-by-step recipe that shows you how to make Coconut Chikki at home.
Keep all the required items ready on the kitchen platform before you begin making the chikki and make sure you use only an aluminium kadhai to get the right temperature and texture. While the chikki is still hot, remember to turn it upside down frequently as described in the recipe so that both sides will be smooth and glossy. It stays fresh in an airtight container for at least one month!
- Heat an aluminium kadhai on a high flame.
- Add the jaggery, mix well and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Lower the flame to slow and keep stirring continuously for 2 minutes, till it forms foam and changes the colour.
- Switch off the flame and keep stirring for few more seconds.
- Add the desiccated coconut and mix very well.
- Put it on a greased platform, while mixing it upside down using a flat ladle.
- Pat the mixture, with greased hands and roll it using a greased rolling pin to make 325 mm. (13”) diameter circle.
- While rolling make sure it does not stick on the platform. If it sticks, loosen it using a flat ladle, and roll again.
- Cut immediately using a sharp knife into equal squares. Cool completely.
- Break into pieces and store it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.