Bhaja Moong Dal Shobji Diye
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3208 times
A dal recipe from the kitchens of Bengal , the Bhaja Moong Dal Shobji Diye brings together moong dal with a horde of colourful, tasty and nutritious veggies!
A traditional tempering of whole spices gives the dal a tantalising aroma while tangy tomatoes and a dash of garam masala are used to boost its flavour.
It is important to handle the dal properly to get the proper consistency and mouth-feel of this dal. Remember to dry roast it before cooking, and cook it only till it is soft but remains whole. It should not become over-cooked and mushy.
Enjoy this awesome recipe, which pools in the goodness of dal and veggies in a very healthy and tasty way. With lots of fibre and ample nutrients, this dish is diabetic-friendly too.
Try similar diabetic recipes like Bajra, Whole Moong and Green Pea Khichdi or Fada ni Khichdi .
- Put the yellow moong dal in a broad non-stick pan , dry roast it on a medium flame for 6 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted yellow moong dal in a deep non-stick pan, add 2½ cups of hot water, mix well, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 12 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the mustard oil in a deep non- stick pan, add the kashmiri dry red chilli, bayleaf, cardamom, cinnamon, clove , cumin seeds , green chilli and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower florets and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and peas and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pour the boiled yellow moong dal with its water, add turmeric powder and salt, mix gently. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the garam masala, coriander and mix gently.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.