Banana Paratha, Delhi Street Food
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17747 times
A culinary gem from the streets of Delhi, the Banana Paratha is a delicacy that is much-loved by kids and adults alike.
As soon as you read the name Banana Paratha, you would have assumed several things, like say, a paratha with a spicy filling of raw banana! No, this recipe is completely the opposite. It is made with ripe bananas, sweetened with jaggery and laced with cardamom.
Further, it is interesting to note that the banana mix is not stuffed into the parathas but worked into the dough itself!
Take care when making the dough. Combine the banana mixture and the flour, and add water only on a need basis. Otherwise, you might end up with a loose dough that cannot be rolled easily.
Also make sure you cook the parathas with ghee, in order to get a rich and authentic taste. One thing about this recipe is that it must be relished really hot, right off the tava. It is actually quite easy to make, and will be loved by everybody.
You can also try other mouth-watering parathas like the Onion, Cheese and Pepper Parathas , and the Palak Paratha .
- Combine the banana, jaggery, cardamom powder, ¼ cup of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Combine the flour and banana mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead using enough water into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll out each portion into 150 mm. (6") diameter circle, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, using ghee till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 7 more parathas.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.