Moong Sprouts Rice
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11248 times
The moong sprouts rice is what you could call a ‘one-kadhai meal’! of course, it takes a little help from the handy microwave oven. Rice tossed with a wonderful assortment of spices and paneer, is layered with a toothsome curry of nutritious moong sprouts cooked with a semi-spicy masala paste, and baked in an oven to enhance and lock in the myriad flavours and aromas contributed by the ingredients.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the caraway seeds, cloves and cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the paneer and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked rice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the rice into 3 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the bayleaves and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste and 2 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the moong sprouts, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Divide the curry into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Grease a microwave safe baking bowl with ghee, put 1 portion of rice in it and spread it evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Pour 1 portion of the moong sprouts curry over it and spread it evenly.
- Again spread a portion of the rice and moong sprouts curry evenly over it.
- Finally add the remaining portion of rice over it and spread it evenly.
- Pour the milk over it, cover with a lid and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 15 to 20 minutes or microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Just before serving, turn upside down on a big serving plate.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.