Mawa karanji (Diwali Sweet) Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 1866 times
Karanji just got even more luxurious! Try this version of Karanji, which features a stuffing of mawa perked up with myriad nuts and dried fruits. You will love the rich, milky aroma, the softness of the mawa and the crunch of the nuts in this delectable mithai. It is a perfect recipe to add to your Diwali plans, as its richness gels with the festive melee. You can preserve the Mawa Karanji in an airtight container at room temperature for two days.
Recipe Description for Mawa Karanji, Gujiya Recipe
- Combine plain flour, ghee and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a firm dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the mawa, raisins, almonds, pistachios, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron in a deep bowl and mix well using your hands.
- Divide the stuffing into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (3") diameter circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre, fold it over to make a semi-circle and press the sides well.
- Twist the sides of the karanji inwards to form pleats.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to make 11 more karanjis.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry a few karanjis at a time, on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately or cool completely and store in an air-tight container for 2 days.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.