Jowar and Pear Appam Healthy South Indian Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17893 times
The all-time favourite South Indian snack appam features here with a healthy twist, Jowar and Pear Appam recipe. We have combined two wholesome flours with grated pear to make a naturally-sweet batter.
Laced with cardamom and honey and cooked with ghee in an appe mould, the Jowar and Pear Appam has a very rich taste that everyone will love. The grated fruit also gives the appam a soft and spongy texture.
In South India, appam is made commonly as an offering to Gods during the puja season. So, you can even include this wholesome Jowar and Pear Appam recipe treat in your festive menu!
You can also try other variants of appam like Unni Appam or Quick Idiyappam.
- To make jowar and pear appam, combine all the ingredients along with approx. ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Grease an appe mould with ¼ tsp of ghee and put 1 tbsp of the batter into each of the 7 appe moulds.
- Cook using ½ tsp of ghee till the lower surface becomes golden brown in colour, then turn each appam upside down using a fork and cook them till they turn golden brown in colour from the other side.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 14 more jowar and pear appams in 2 more batches.
- Serve the jowar and pear appam immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.