Also Known As Olive nere, Olive noires
What is Black Olives, Kale Jaitun? Black olives are synonymous with Mediterranean style cooking. Unlike green olives, which are picked before they ripen, black olives are ripened artificially. They are in fact, ripened before curing, thus ensuring that the content of oil is higher than in green olives.
Black olive halves
Place the pitted whole black olive on a chopping board. Using a sharp knife cut the olive vertically to get 2 equal halves. For horizontal halves, cut the olive from center horizontally to get 2 equal halves. Use as required.
Chopped black olives
In order to chop black olives, place them on a chopping board and cut each olive into halves. Now make vertical slits on each halve, arrange the strips together and make horizontal slits to get chopped black olives. The slits can be made finely or thickly as per the recipe requirements. Chopped black olives are usually used in flavouring dips, sauces or used to make fillings for savoury tarts, savoury muffins, etc.
Sliced black olives
In order to slice black olives, place them on a chopping board and cut each olive into halves. Now make vertical slits on each halve to get sliced black olives.. Sliced black olives are used mainly as toppings on sandwiches and pizzas or used to flavour pastas etc.
Stuffed black olives
Black olives are usually stuffed with pimentos, peppers, garlic, dry fruits like almonds etc. One can also stuff black olives with cheese, meat etc and then use in recipes. Use them whole, cut into halves, chopped or sliced in recipes as per your requirements.
How to select Black Olives, Kale Jaitun • Good food stores keep an assortment of black olives which can be sampled before purchasing.
• Packaged olives will usually be soaked in brine or oil.
• Ensure that you check the brand, manufacturing and expiry date before purchasing.
11 Uses of Black Olives, Kale Jaitun Black olives are fruits from the olive tree which are picked when fully grown and fully ripe while the green ones are not ripe yet. Black olives are sweeter in taste than the green ones (which are salty and bitter) and both have a seed inside them. Even though it was first used only in the Mediterranean belt, it is not used all over the world. As fresh olives are not available easily, we use pickled olives that are a little sour in taste.
1. Black Olives were first mainly used in Mediterranean food which includes countries like Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia.
2. The first and foremost use of olives that comes to mind is to use them to make olive oil.
3. Sliced or halved black olives are a common favorite as toppings on many pizzas and sandwiches like Mediterranean Pizza or a Veg Sub Sandwich.
For complete uses of Black Olives read this article.
How to store Black Olives, Kale Jaitun • Olives which are packaged in brine or oil can be kept at room temperature in a cool and dry place.
• Unopened olives may be stored for as long as 12 months.
• Transfer the olives from the opened package along with the brine into a glass or plastic bowl. Please do not place in a metal container for the brine might react negatively with the metal causing poising.
• Cover with cling film and then store under refrigerated conditions.
Health Benefits Black Olives, Kale Jaitun
Black olives are a good source of mono unsaturated fats (MUFA) and also a natural source of Vitamin E. These olives posses the ability to reduce inflammation in the body, neutralize the free radicals, protect heart and lower the risk of cancer. They help stimulate the immune system and fight against various bacteria and virus. Most Mediterranean's owe their smooth complexion to the consumption of olives, which figure heavily in their diet. Olives aid in maintaining healthy, supple skin due to healthy oils found in it. They are also a good source of fibre which helps to add bulk to stools and promote digestive health.