Last Updated : Sep 06,2019
Viewed 40663 times
What is Baked Beans? A staple in most American breakfast formats, baked beans are known for their tangy sweetness, colour and buttery bean flavour. Sourced from haricot beans cooked in butter with onions, garlic, tomatoes and aromatic herbs, baked beans can be easily made at home and alternatives like kidney beans, black beans, white beans, navy beans etc can be used in its place. Generally sold canned, baked beans have been used as a staple survival food in the army and in camps.
How to select • Canned baked beans are generally how this product is sold.
• Please check the brand and packaging for both the manufacturing and expiry dates.
• Please do not purchase the product if the cans are puffed.
• If made at home, ensure that good, quality beans free from stones, grime and dirt is used.
1. Baked beans are traditionally used as a topping on toast for breakfast. They can be had directly out of the can as they are already cooked or can be eaten by cooking them with onions and garlic. They also taste incredible as a topping on open sandwiches with grated cheese and herbs.
7 Uses of Baked Beans
2. Baked beans go very well as fillings in grilled sandwiches, open burgers and stuffed pizzas etc.
3. Beans are extensively used in Mexican cuisine. They are used as a topping over nachos, stuffed inside Chilli Bean Quesadillas or even to stuff cannelloni's.
4. Baked beans can also be added to soups to provide them with more body and a hit of taste.
5. Baked beans are a regional hit in the Brazilian Feijoada. It is made with onions, garlic, peppers, roasted cumin powder, coriander and pepper, before being topped with orange juice and sherry.
6. Baked beans are a hit when served together with baked potatoes and tartlets as starters for parties and entertaining purposes.
7. Southern baked beans served at barbecues across the United States are made with molasses, brown sugar, mustard and tomatoes while the classic baked beans are served as a part of the elaborate 'English Breakfast'.
How to store • Store canned beans under refrigerated conditions.
• Once opened, transfer the ingredients to a bowl and cover it with cling film.
Health Benefits • Since baked beans are high in protein, baked beans can be an excellent source of nutrition, especially for vegetarians.
• It is also a moderate source of iron, vitamin B, folic acid and fibre.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.