Apple Cider Vinegar
Last Updated : Jan 11,2020
Viewed 6023 times
Also Known As
Description of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar (also called sweet cider or soft cider) is a sour tasting liquid derived by fermenting apple with yeast. It is derived by two step fermentation process to remove coarse particles of pulp or sediment. It may be opaque due to fine apple particles in suspension and may be tangier than conventional filtered apple juice, depending on the apples used. About 2 kilograms (4.4 lb) of apples is needed to make a 1 litre of cider vinegar. Apples are washed, cut, and ground into a mash that has the consistency of apple sauce. Layers of this mash are wrapped in cloth and placed upon wooden or plastic racks. A hydraulic press then squeezes the layers together, and the juice flows and it’s later fermented. It is commonly used as a preservative as well as a condiment. It has a milder flavor as compared to wine vinegar. It is a pale to medium amber colored beverage. Due to its acidic nature, apple cider vinegar is very harsh and may cause burning or irritation to the throat. Hence it should be diluted with warm water before consuming as a supplement. Its frequent consumption may also; lead to certain side effects like irritability, palpitation and nervousness.
How to Select Apple Cider Vinegar
It is available in almost all food malls or supermarkets, branded under the name "American Cider Vinegar". Also you can buy it online. For e.g.; Somerset Cider Vinegar, BRAGG Cider Vinegar and other organic ones. It is available in glass jars or bottles.
11 Culinary Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Apple Cider Vinegar is considered one of the versatile ingredients in cooking.
2. It is used to tenderize the meat.
3. It can be used for making freshly baked breads like Almond Flax Bread with Eggs 4. When vegetables and fruits are rinsed with diluted apple cider vinegar, it helps to remove the dirt, chemical spray residue and even bugs. The bacteria present on stored vegetables and fruits can be killed by soaking them in cider vinegar solution.
5. Add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar while blanching green leafy vegetables. This will help retain the green color.
6. To avoid browning of the already cut fruits such as apples, pears and vegetables like potatoes, just rinse them in diluted apple cider vinegar.
7. When the eggs are hard boiled, the egg white might leak out from the shell. This can be avoided by adding apple cider vinegar to the boiling water.
8. The flavor of pastas and casseroles can be improved by adding a dash of apple cider vinegar.
9. Cheese remains soft and mold free by wrapping and storing it in a cloth dipped in apple cider vinegar solution.
10. They are used for making varieties of salad like Baby Spinach, Apple and Pecan Salad and salad dressing.
11. It is also used in preparation of juices like Anti- Cancer and Anti- Inflammation Spinach Juice How to Store Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar in itself is a preservative and does not go bad on storage, may be some minimal changes in flavor may happen. However it is recommended to store it in a dark place, preferably in black colored container to protect it from light. Always remember to cap the bottle once opened.
Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
• It helps maintain a normal pH level in the body. Being vinegar it is acidic by nature, but when consumed it turns alkaline and thus help attain a state of equilibrium between acidity and alkalinity in the body. This further facilitates the necessary enzyme productions and chemical reactions in the body.
• Daily consumption accelerates weight loss by suppressing the appetite and speeding up the metabolism.
• Due to the presence of water soluble fiber Pectin, it helps to reduce blood cholesterol. However more research in this field is yet to be carried out.
• It improves insulin sensitivity and so helps to control blood sugar levels.
• The high potassium levels in Apple Cider Vinegar help relax the blood vessels and maintain optimal blood pressure.
• It works great as a detox agent too. It removes toxins from the body and helps builds a healthy you.
• It can help relieve digestive problems like heartburn, indigestion, acidity etc. quickly.
• Dabbing Apple Cider vinegar on wounds helps to fade off the discolouration.
• It helps in breakdown of the food and prevents harmful bacteria from multiplying, thus has anti bacterial property.
The best way to consume this apple cider vinegar is to dilute 1 to 2 teaspoons in a glass of water and consume it. Avoid having excess of it, as it’s vinegar basically and large amounts may cause harmful effects.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.