How many calories does one Rasgulla have?
One Rasgulla gives 121 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 60 calories, proteins account for 11 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 37 calories. One Rasgulla provides about 6 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to see Rasgulla calorie. This is one sweet the Bengalis cannot live without, and you too are sure to fall in love with it once you taste these super-soft, milk-white rasgullas.
Remember that everything matters in the making of perfect rasgullas -- from the amount of lemon juice used and the lump-free kneading of the chenna, to the consistency of the sugar water.
So, follow instructions perfectly and you will end up with praise-worthy rasgullas. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes quite easy and you will be game to make it very frequently!
Is Rasgulla healthy?
No, This is not healthy recipe.
Let's understand the ingredients in Rasgulla.
What's good in Rasgulla?
Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. Milk low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
What's the problem in Rasgulla?
Sugar : Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammtion of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar.
Can diabetics, heart patients or over weight individual have Rasgullas?
Rasgulla is a famous Bengali sweet and relished all over India. The art lies in making the perfect chenna and you will get super soft Rasgullas.
Rasgulla is made of milk and sugar. We have used 2 kinds of milk in making the chenna. Cows milk which gives softness to the rasgulla and is lower in fat and then we have the full fat buffalo milk.
Diabetics and heart patients don't want to consume sugar as it will push up your blood sugar levels. Infact it will cause a surge in blood sugar. This will lead to spikes in blood sugar which diabetics don't want. Indirectly you will put on weight. Also fat levels are high for Rasgulla as its made from full fat milk.
Can healthy individuals have Rasgulla?
No, Rasgulla is not healthy.
Rasgulla is not a healthy sweet and best eaten as a cheat meal. Highly not recommended for diabetics, heart patients or weight loss. While one Rasgulla is only 106 calories, the issue is the quality of calories you put into your body. You are healthier by choosing healthier options.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Also dry fruits suffed dates is healthy. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery, oats and dates kheer and anjeer and mixed nuts barfi (not for diabetics).
Anjeer and Mixed Nut Barfi
Try a jowar based Indian dessert which is s a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin.
The jowar apple sheera recipe is made with the addition of cows milk and apples and sweetened with honey.
Jowar Apple Sheera, Healthy Indian Sweet
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
How to burn 121 calories that come from one Rasgulla?
Walking (6 kmph) =
Running (11 kmph) =
Cycling (30 kmph) =
Swimming (2 kmph) =
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.