How many calories does one Chawal Bhakri have?
One Chawal Bhakri gives 100 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 90 calories, proteins account for 6 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 4 calories. One Chawal Bhakri provides about 5 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe chawal bhakri recipe | rice flour bhakri | Maharashtrian Tandlachi bhakri | rice roti | with 15 amazing images.
chawal bhakri recipe | rice flour bhakri | Maharashtrian Tandlachi bhakri | rice roti is a traditional Maharashtrian roti which seemingly has no use of spices or masalas and is yet absolutely delightful. Learn how to make Maharashtrian Tandlachi bhakri.
To make chawal bhakri, heat 1 cup of water and salt in a deep non-stick pan and allow the water to come to a boil. Once the water boils, add the rice flour and mix very well. Switch off the flame and cover with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes. Knead the dough well. Divide the dough into 5 equal portions. Roll a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter thin circle using a little rice flour for rolling. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the roti on a medium flame till both the sides are cooked. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make 4 more bhakris. Serve immediately with red chilli thecha.
The pure taste of cooked rice flour is soothing and satiating at the same time! You will really enjoy this Maharashtrian Tandlachi bhakri made with a dough of cooked rice flour. While we have added salt in this recipe, many Maharashtrian families makes its authentic version without the use of salt.
This rice flour bhakri dough is not made like most roti or bhakri dough. In this recipe, rice flour is cooked with water and this is what lends a unique soft texture to these rotis.
Although you might have some slight difficulty in rolling the rice roti initially, you will get the hang of it within a few bhakris and then it will be a breeze! Traditionally these rotis are rolled also in a different way. Instead of rolling pin, they are patted with fingers and rolled to perfection. These are really soft and yummy and combine perfectly with spicy Red Chilli Thecha.
Tips for chawal bhakri. 1. After adding the rice flour to water at step 2 mix it continuously with the help of a wooden ladle. A steel ladle is usually not preferred as the dough may stick to it. Ensure that there are no lumps in it. 2. Knead the dough very well after keeping it aside so that it becomes smooth and rolling becomes easier. 3. Since rice flour has a tendency to harden over time, serve these bhakris immediately on preparation.
Is Chawal Bhakri healthy?
Sadly, chawal bhakri is not healthy. It's so so tasty Mahrashtra bread. The issue is that its made of 100% rice flour.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
What's the problem?
Rice flour (chawal ka atta) : 1 cup of rice flour are used to make 5 bhakris. Rice flour is high in carbohydrates, not a good source of protein. Consumption of rice flour can cause inflammtion in your body and not goos for heart patients. See full details on is rice flour bad for you?
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Chawal Bhakri?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Foods like rice are high in Glycemic index are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels.
Can healthy individuals have Chawal Bhakri?
What's a healthy option to bhakri?
We suggest to opt for an Indian bread. So you could have whole wheat roti, bajra roti, jowar roti. If you want to add some stuffing then jowar mooli roti, bajra cauliflower roti.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
How to burn 100 calories that come from one Chawal Bhakri ?
Walking (6 kmph) = 30 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 10 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 13 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 17 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.