How many calories does one Besan Laddoo have?
One Besan Laddoo gives 307 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 152 calories, proteins account for 32 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 122 calories. One Besan Laddoo provides about 15 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See besan ladoo recipe. Besan Laddoo is one of the most popular mithai in Indian cuisine. It might be known by various names, but this delicious laddoos of spiced and sweetened besan is famous all over the country.
When making this, remember that the rich flavour of the laddoo depends on how well you cook the besan. Under-cooking it will leave behind a raw taste, which will ruin the whole recipe. So, make sure you cook it well. The proportion of ghee and besan is also important as you might end up with a dry or very soft laddoo if it is not done right.
Is Besan Laddoo healthy?
No, besan laddoo is not healthy. Made from besan, ghee, sugar, almonds and a bit of elaichi.
Let's understand the ingredients.
Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. See detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine , Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate, Vitamin B9 which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
What's the problem with Besan Laddoo?
Sugar : Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammtion of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar.
Ghee : 1 cup of ghee used to make ladoos. That's too much fat.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have besan laddoo?
No, besan ladoo has too much fat. This will cause chaos in your body.
Can healthy individuals have besan ladoo?
Sadly, even if you are healthy, best is to stay clear of this ladoo. Last resort, eat one besan ladoo and thats it. We are trying to show a healthy way of living, so you get our point.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery.
Oats and Mixed Nuts Ladoo (Healthy Laddu)
Besan Laddoo is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
4. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
8 Pointers to Go Healthy and Stay Healthy
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
How to burn 307 calories that come from one serving of Besan Laddoo?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 32 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 31 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 41 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 53 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.