Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagne
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 280 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19362 times
This elegant vegetable lasagne showcases both tomato and cheese sauces as well as a colourful layer of zucchini and eggplant slices.
This rich baked dish is packed with layers of pasta filled with vegetables and tomatoes, topped with processed cheese and baked until golden brown on top. You can even replace it with mozzarella.
Choose firm long slender eggplants, which have lots of flavour and very few seeds. For a quick variation, you can buy ready dry pasta sheets (available at certain speciality stores) instead of freshly made pasta.
This recipe can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until needed. Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagne is a great dish for entertaining!
Also do try other variants of lasagne like Pomodoro Lasagne, Tortilla Lasagne, Veg Lasagne with Paneer and Ratatouille Lasagne.
Enjoy how to make Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagne recipe with detailed step by step photos and video below.
Add your private note
Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagne recipe - How to make Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagne
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Baking time: 35 minutes Baking Temperature: 180°C (360°F) Total Time:
1 hours 32 minutesMakes 5 servings
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the lasagne dough into 3 equal portions and roll out each portion as thinly as possible into a circle of 150 mm. (6") diameter lasagne sheet, using plain flour for rolling
- Cook each lasagna sheet (one at a time for 2 minutes) in a large deep pan of boiling water to which 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of oil has been added.
- Drain and transfer the lasange sheets in a bowl of cold water. Drain again and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Mash the tomatoes lightly with a potato masher so they release their juices.
- Add the tomato ketchup, oregano and chilli flakes, mix well and cook pn a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Mash it lightly again, if required.
- Add the basil and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, brinjal, salt and pepper, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley, mix well and cook for 30 seconds. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the plain flour and saute on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, or till the sauce thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the salt, pepper and cheese, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring continously. Keep aside.
- To make zucchini and eggplant lasagne, grease a 150 mm. (6") diameter baking dish with butter.
- Place one cooked lasagna sheet in the baking dish.
- Spread half of the filling and then half of the tomato sauce evenly over it.
- Place the second lasagna sheet over the tomato sauce.
- Spread the remaining filling and tomato sauce evenly over it.
- Place the third layer of the lasagna sheet.
- Pour the white sauce evenly over it so that the lasagne is covered completely.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 25 minutes on the middle rack and 5 minutes on the upper rack.
- Serve the zucchini and eggplant lasagne hot.
Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagne Video
Nutrient values per
|Vitamin A||546.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||38.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||57.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.