Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagne
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 277 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15271 times
This elegant vegetable lasagne showcases both tomato and cheese sauces as well as a colourful layer of zucchini and eggplant slices.
This rich baked dish is packed with layers of pasta filled with vegetables and tomatoes, topped with processed cheese and baked until golden brown on top. You can even replace it with mozzarella.
Choose firm long slender eggplants, which have lots of flavour and very few seeds. For a quick variation, you can buy ready dry pasta sheets (available at certain speciality stores) instead of freshly made pasta.
This recipe can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until needed. A great dish for entertaining!
Also do try other variants of lasagne like Pomodoro Lasagne, Tortilla Lasagne, Veg Lasagne with Paneer and Ratatouille Lasagne.
- Divide the pasta dough into 3 equal portions and roll out each portion as thinly as possible into a circle of 150 mm. (6") diameter lasagne sheet.
- Cook each sheet of pasta (one at a time for 2 minutes) in a large pan of boiling water to which 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil has been added.
- Drain and transfer the lasange sheets in a bowl of cold water. Drain again and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato ketchup and oregano and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a pan, add the garlic and parsley and remove from the fire. Drain the garlic and parsley and keep aside.
- In another pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sauté the zucchini slices with salt till they are lightly browned. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and cook the eggplant slices on both sides till they are lightly browned. Sprinkle a little salt and keep aside.
- Heat the butter, add the flour and sauté for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk while stirring continuously and so that lumps do not form. Bring to a boil.
- Add the salt, pepper and cheese and mix well. Remove from the flame.
- To make the zucchini and eggplant lasagne, grease a 150 mm. (6") diameter baking dish.
- Place one sheet of lasagne on the baking dish.
- Top with a layer of the eggplant and zucchini and then half of the tomato sauce.
- Repeat with the second layer of the lasagne, eggplant and zucchini, garlic and parsley and the remaining tomato sauce.
- Top with the third layer of the lasagne sheet. Pour the white sauce over so that the lasagne is covered completely.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per
|Vitamin A||546.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||38.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||57.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.