by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Wholesome Khichdi in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Wholesome Khichdi in Gujarati)
Added to 38 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15230 times
Khichdi is perhaps the most popular, comforting and homely of rice dishes, enjoyed by Indians the world over. While there are various versions of khichdi, known by various names, every community has some way of preparing this wholesome combination of rice and moong dal, which is nutritious, energising and easy to prepare for people of all age groups. In fact, khichdi is such a versatile dish, it can be prepared any time of the day; be it lunch or dinner, khichdi takes on different hues depending on the accompaniments. Here is an aromatic and satiating Wholesome Khichdi, enhanced with mixed veggies and spices.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice and yellow moong dal in enough water for approx. 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, peppercorns, bayleaf and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the bottle gourd and carrots and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the moong dal, rice, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the khichdi lightly and serve immediately with fresh curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.