Stuffed Urad Dal Bhakri
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5511 times
Enhancing whole-wheat bhakris with some kind of stuffing is a great idea because it makes it more satiating and also adds more punch to it! In this Stuffed Urad Dal Bhakri, the idea is to make mini bhakris stuffed with a tongue-tickling urad dal mixture that is perked up with roasted and crushed spices.
These mini stuffed bhakris are cooked on a tava, which makes it suitable for people with high cholesterol or diabetes, without compromising on taste. The flavourful topping is also devoid of any fat. Two of these bhakris make a satiating snack.
Dip the bhakri in Garlic Tomato Chutney and relish along with a cup of hot Honey Ginger Tea .
- Combine the whole wheat flour and salt in a deep bowl, mix well knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 14 equal portions and keep aside.
- Soak the urad dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and green chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal paste, black pepper and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool completely.
- Divide the stuffing into 14 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the urad dal stuffing in the centre, bring together all the sides and seal the edges.
- Roll it out again into 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the bhakri on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Continue cooking the bhakri on a slow flame, while pressing with a folded muslin cloth or a khakhra press, till it turns crisp and golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 to make 13 more stuffed ural dal bhakris.
- Serve immediately.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per stuffed bhakri
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.