Spinach Malfatti, Healthy Pregnancy Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 520 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34929 times
Malfatti is a steamed dumpling, usually made of spinach and cheese. Interesting, the Italian term Malfatti literally translates to ‘poorly made’, which probably refers to the odd, rustic shape of the dumplings!
Although it is quite exotic, the Spinach Malfatti is relatively easy to make. A mixture of spinach and cottage cheese held together by wheat flour are rolled into dumplings and steamed.
These dumplings are served in a quick, homemade tomato sauce, which adds to the flavour and nutrition of the Spinach Malfatti. A garnish of grated paneer contrasts with the colour of the sauce, making the dish look really attractive, while also bringing in more protein to the nutrition chart!
These mildly-spiced and healthy steamed dumplings are rich in iron , calcium , folic acid and protein , which makes it ideal to have in the early months of pregnancy.
- Squeeze out all the excess water from the spinach and place them in a deep bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix very well.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions and roll each portion into a round.
- Place 8 dumplings in a steamer and steam for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Repeat step 4 to cook 8 more dumplings in 1 more batch. Keep aside
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and spring onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the fresh tomato pulp, chilli flakes, chilli powder, sugar, salt and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Place 1/4th of the prepared tomato sauce in a serving plate, place 4 steamed dumplings over it and finally sprinkle ½ tbsp of paneer evenly over it.
- Repeat step 1 to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.