by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 83 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11595 times
A South Indian dish, popular especially in Karnataka, Tousali refers to pancakes that invariably combine rice, coconut and cucumber.
This peppy version adds a few tablespoons of curds and green chillies to the batter, making a really lip-smacking Spicy Tousali! Serve it with coconut chutney.
- Soak the rice in enough lukewarm water in a deep bowl for 2 hours.
- Drain, add the coconut and approx. ½ cup of water and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the cucumber, sugar, green chillies, curds and salt and mix well.
- Cover the batter with the lid and keep aside to ferment for 4 hours.
- After fermentation, mix very well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly with oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the hot tava (griddle) and spread it evenly to form a 100 mm. (4”) diameter thick circle.
- Cook on a medium flame, using a little oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 9 more tousalis.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tousali
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.