Rava Pongal, South Indian Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10462 times
Pongal is a traditional South Indian breakfast made with cooked rice and moong dal, perked up with spices and ginger. Another authentic treat, the Rava Pongal is a super tasty variant that replaces rice with rava.
Some people prefer the Rava Pongal to the usual rice pongal because they find the roasted rava to be more aromatic. Here, cooked yellow moong dal and roasted rava are cooked together with a tempering of pepper, cumin and ginger, which makes it rich and tasty.
Like in the case of all dishes made with rava, like upma, it is important to stir swiftly once the rava is added to the water. Drizzle some melted ghee on top of the Rava Pongal before serving to ensure that every mouthful is moist and aromatic.
You can also try other rava based recipes like the Rava Vada and Onion Rava Dosa .
- Put the yellow moong dal in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Wash the dal and drain it well.
- Combine the washed dal and ¾ cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook on a medium flame for 6 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, mix it well using a whisk till smooth. Keep aside.
- Put the semolina in a broad non-stick pan, and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Transfer it on a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan heat the ghee, add asafoetida and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the curry leaves, ginger and black pepper powder and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add 1½ cups of water, mix well and bring it to boil.
- Add the roasted semolina gradually, and keep mixing it continuously, so that no lumps are formed and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring it continuously.
- Add the cooked moong dal and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring it continuously.
- Serve immediately with melted ghee.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||105.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.