by Tarla Dalal
Added to 196 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31933 times
A variant of the popular South Indian idli, which is a perfect example of a complete protein combination, with the right proportions of cereal (rice) and pulse (moong dal).
While idlis are traditionally prepared with urad, this Nutritious Idli is prepared with moong dal instead, to make it more easily digestible. While moong dal gives it a good aroma and interesting taste as well, it tends to get hard over time.
So, serve these Nutritious Idlis immediately with chutney and Sambhar to really enjoy them.
- Wash, drain and soak the rice, green moong dal and fenugreek seeds in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Combine it with approx. ½ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the batter into a bowl, add the salt and mix very well.
- Cover the batter with the lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 8 hours.
- After fermentation, mix the batter well and pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds.
- Steam in an idli steamer for 10 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.