Mogar Aur Chasni Chawal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 66 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29644 times
Rajasthani food tends to be a bit spicy at times, which is probably why Rajasthanis like to combine sweet and savoury foods, to achieve a balanced effect. Mogar and Chasni Chawal is a fine example of this, wherein spicy moong dal or mogar is eaten along with chasni or sweetened rice. Neither dish would be appealing if served alone, but when served together the fieriness of the mogar is offset by the sweetness of the rice, making both very enjoyable.
- Combine the sugar and ½ cup of water in a deep bowl, mix well and make a syrup of one string consistency. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the cloves and cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar syrup, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the soaked and drained moong dal and 2½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 9 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cooked moong dal, dried mango powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with chasni chawal.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||328.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
|Folic Acid||46.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.